1. Answer the following questions.
- Name any three common minerals used by you every day.
- What is an ore?Where are the ores of metallic minerals generally located?
- Name two regions rich in natural gas resources.
- Which sources of energy would you suggest for?
- Rural areas
- Coastal areas
- Arid regions
- Ore is the raw metal found in the earth mixed with other materials or impurities. They are generally located in igneous or metamorphic rocks.
- (a) In the world : Russia, Norway, UK, Netherlands (Any two) (b) In India : Jaisalmer, Krishna - Godavari Delta, Tripura and some areas off shore in Mumbai High. (Any two).
- (a) Rural areas: Biogas, Biomass, Solar energy,(b) Coastal areas: Tidal energy,(c) Arid regions: Wind energy.
2. Give reasons.
- Environmental aspects must be carefully looked into before building huge dams.
- Most industries are concentrated around coal mines.
- Petroleum is referred to as " black gold".
- Quarrying can become a major environmental concern.
1. Because of the following reasons:
- Dams create imbalance in the earth's equilibrium.
- Deforestation leads to environmental pollution.People become displaced.
- Cities/villages/towns are shifted causing untold hardships to people.
- Flood threats loom large.
- Earthquake threats.
- Silting of lakes a problem.
2. Because coal is used as power and also as raw material in the industries.
3. Petroleum is referred to as "black gold" due to its immense value.
4. Due to dust raised from the quarrying activities.